Monday, February 8, 2010

Bone Collecting

I told you yesterday that Brewer and I were going shed antler hunting. Well we went, and while we didnt find any antlers, Brewer did find what looked to be the femur of a deer. So while it wasnt a shed, we are definitely on the right track. I also stumbled upon my new honey hole for early deer season next year. I have walked all around this particular piece of public property many times, but I still have not covered it all, apparently. I cannot wait to try this spot out, I have hunted within a few hundred yards of this spot and seen deer often. I wish I could draw you a picture, but you will just have to trust me when I say this spot is money in the bank. It is a secluded creek bottom that bridges 2 pieces of land together that are divided by a small cove off of the main lake.It is literally invisible from the main path, and you have to be purposefully wondering around to find it. I just never walked this land far enough in that direction before because it is a pretty tough walk through a bunch of thorns, who knew. I am hoping it is far enough off of the beaten path to keep other hunters away. On another note, Brewer flushed 2 quail from a thicket in that creek bottom and they flew right over my head, too bad it was Sunday. I was excited to see them though, the game lands manual says they are there but I have never seen one until yesterday. I wish I could say he went on point, but he flushed them. Maybe he can be the first ever GSP to enter the flushing dog category this weekend.
Well the ribs were disappointing in my opinion. Steffi liked them,but I expected more spice, and the were not as tender as I had hoped for. I did learn a thing or two from this little experiment and I will be sure to get it right the next time. I felt bad, my brother in-law came over to watch the game and I told him not to bring much, that I had it covered. We had chips and very little salsa(I thought we had more), sweet potatoes, hot dogs (that he brought),and the ribs that finally got done after the first quarter. The beef roast was a bust and it never got served. I had an apple pie to bake, but I realized too late that it took an hour to prepare. He probably will not come back over, at least for dinner. Sorry Andy

1 comment:

  1. The ribs were AWESOME!!! you need to be a better judge of your masterpieces :)

    ReplyDelete