Monday, February 22, 2010

The German Shorthaired Pointer


The German Shorthaired Pointer has one of the most unique and unclear origins of any sporting dog breed. I have read many different accounts of how the GSP came to be. Most accounts say that dogs such as the Spanish Pointer, English pointer and several other German scent hound breeds were involved in producing what we see today. A few accounts of the breed origin argue that the English pointer was never involved.The actual dates vary as well, some say the GSP was around as early as the 16th century, others say the 18th century. Point being, there really isnt a set in stone list of what breeds went into the mix or when it actually happened. What we do know is it happened something like this. For many centuries in European culture only royalty could hunt and they had a kennel full of dogs for every purpose. The common man had no priviledges and no money, but he needed to survive and provide for his family. He couldnt afford a different dog for every purpose, so he set out to create an all purpose dog.This dog would have to retrieve fur and feather from water or land, point and track a variety of game,be a watch dog, and blend into the household. Hence the GSP or "Common mans" dog. I would agree that Brewer has all of these traits, and I will probably never have a different breed of dog. He is still a puppy and very unrefined, but I cannot imagine a better dog for me. And to think I wanted a Lab. Easy easy, just kidding, I still love labs, and if I had one I would be bias towards them too. I will also confess I am curiously attracted to the state dog of South Carolina, the Boykin Spaniel. I watched a few of them work at a field trial and have been interested ever since, but the GSP is still the dog for me. What kind of dog is your favorite and why? Thanks for stopping buy, stay tuned.
Checkout this link for a great video on the history of the GSP. http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid58743927001?bctid=59961806001 .
I am trying to just post the video on here put blogspot is not cooperating.

No comments:

Post a Comment