Monday, February 1, 2010

My latest adventure

My posts here recently seem to be all about Brewer and me, so bare with me, here comes another one. One of my absolute favorite things to do is to go out after a fresh snow and look at all of the critter tracks. I took Brewer out to the local reservoir this afternoon. This particular reservoir has lots of land around it for us to roam around on. We were following the trail around the lake and as usual Brewer was working the area around us. He disappeared for about 20 seconds and when I blew the whistle a gray fox came flying out of a thicket 50 yards from me, a few seconds later here comes Brewer full blast right on his heels. Despite our best effort that fox gave us the slip and was never seen again. Brewer followed the scent and I followed the tracks to an intersection of about 5000 fox tracks that went in every possible direction and we were done with that. However that did lead us to an area on the back of a field that was littered with deer tracks. I followed a set of buck tracks into some ridiculously thick cover only to find an empty bed. However as I came out of the thicket I looked up just in time to see a deer give me the flag and run off. Luckily Brewer had not seen the deer.It never fails , especially at this particular spot that he finds a few deer to chase, the high pitched bark ripping through the woods is always a dead give away. He did chase a few deer today, but not this one. We tracked this deer for about 200 yards, but it was getting dark and Brewer had stepped in almost every one the deers tracks so they were getting hard to distinguish from his. One thing that struck me as odd was a pair of really fresh scrapes I stumbled upon while tracking this deer. At first I thought they might be turkey scratches but there were only deer tracks in and around them. I took a picture with my cell phone(didnt have my camera AGAIN). I will have to investigate this spot again soon. It seems a bit late for scrapes?? On the way back to the truck we came across a horse of a buck track(fresh) and followed it a bit. Brewer got ahead of me and then I heard the barking. He finally came back to me a minute later. I never saw the deer but judging by his track I bet he was a big boy.
I told you I was going to be revamping Brewers upland training in preparation for the upcoming fun trial. Today also on the way back to the truck(before the other buck track), we walked through a large field, I had him quarter the field by whistle and hand signals. He was tired by this point but he did well. Some people say the only way to hunt over a GSP is when they are worn out, they might be right. Thanks for checking in. Stay tuned

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment