Thursday, April 15, 2010

NC Turkeys- Public land Hunt


Turkey Track
Well, This NC outdoorsman finally got a free afternoon a few days ago. I could hardly function waiting around for the work day to end. When the time finally came, I ran home, let the good as new Brewer out for a little potty break, and then hit the woods. In the not so distant past, I had witnessed Turkeys on two occasions in a field just off of the game lands I would be hunting. I also frequently found lots of sign in the area. I could not have had higher hopes, but it was not to be. I probably walked 4 miles, calling every 150 or 200 yards give or take a little. I threw the whole book at those birds and never got a response, being this early in the season I was a little surprised. I found 2 sets of fresh tracks in separate locations, so I know the birds are around. I finished up about 7:00 pm and drove home thinking of what I might do differently next time. Maybe Saturday afternoon I will make it back out there. I have to say, the one satisfying thing about this hunt was that I made a game plan before hand and stuck with it the entire time. Usually my impatience gets the best of me and I call an audible. Even though I didn't bag a bird, this was a great experience for me, and I cant wait to get back out there.
Thanks for stopping by,

Andrew

1 comment:

  1. Nothing wrong with that......I recently got out for the first time this spring. Life & weather have made it tough this season!

    ReplyDelete