Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Kamikaze Brew

Well, it seems that Brewer has been on a kamikaze mission as of lately. As I told you the other day he almost drowned/broke his leg. Today,while I was letting him get some exercise at the lake,I was looking over a concrete ledge that dropped off about 8 feet. He got a running start and jumped off the ledge, landing on wet concrete covered with algae. It wasnt pretty,and it happened so fast. I saw him hit the concrete before I realized what happened.Nothing broke his fall, there was just a loud thud on impact. He held his right front leg stiff for about 10 seconds and then started swimming so I knew he was fine, but what a scary jump! He still isnt showing any signs of being hurt.I will never know what he was thinking, there was nothing down there to attract him. Sunday, Steffi and I were visiting my parents for Christmas. There are woods in their back yard that create a buffer between their house and the city reservoir. I always take him back there to run around, it is a peninsula so there is only one way in and one way out. We were walking along the shoreline at a place where there was a steep drop off to the water. It was only about 1 foot of drop of though. Brewer was dying to get into the water, but I didnt feel like cleaning him up before we went back inside so I kept telling him no. Well he crept too close at one point and slid into the water face first, when this happened his back left leg went around a sapling and his foot got stuck under the bank at the same time. At first I laughed, but when I saw he was stuck and panicking I tried to help him. He was trying to swim away from the bank to free his leg and couldnt keep his head above water, he managed to turn his body around and bring his front half onto dry land, but this put his leg in a really bad bind(this all happened in about 3 seconds). I had to lay down the hill on the ground and break the sapling in order to get him unstuck. He was fine immediately afterwards, but I know it scared him. He was whimpering and whining and he gave me a face full of kisses before he continued playing in the woods. If I couldnt have gotten to him in time, who knows the outcome. I never let him get more then 75 0r 100 yards away unless we are in an open field for this reason. I would like to say he has learned something from these two events, but I am not so sure.
Deer season is coming to a close in the next few days (unless you are in an urban archery zone), so I will write a couple more deer hunting blogs. After that I want to concentrate on waterfowl and upland hunting for a while. I will cover a lot about dogs and birds in the weeks to come. While I have learned a great deal about training and raising a gun dog over the last few years, I do not consider my self an expert by any means.Hopefully I can get a few guys to weigh in on those topics when we get there.
As long as the rain holds off until dark I will be hunting tomorrow afternoon. I would normally head to my favorite spot, where I took Keith the other day, but rumor has it that might not be a great decision. Keith went back to that spot on Monday morning( I had to work). When he got there he saw 2 guys on 4 wheelers beyond where any vehicles are allowed. Keith approached them and said they wreaked of alcohol and were acting very strange.Keep in mind it is 5:45 in the morning and completely dark. The guys said they were waiting to put up some fence posts in a nearby pasture. I call B.S. I would say those guys were drinking and spotlighting deer all night, probably shooting at them and leaving them to rot.If I hadnt seen this play out other places before I would not be so condemning. Needless to say Keith saw 2 deer that morning, they were not really close. I know there will always be morons like this, but it still makes me angry. We do not need to fuel the fire of non sportsmen by doing stupid mindless things like that. Even if those guys werent spotlighting and shooting deer, they were drunk and driving 4 wheelers in an illegal area. Get a clue you ignants(my new word), dont ruin it for the good guys. I dont know where I will go tomorrow, probably back out to that spot, I will let you know how it goes.

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment