Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Still chasin those ducks... have you seen them ?

When Richard Wolters said that the first few hunts you take a dog on should be about the dog, he was exactly right. However, he failed to mention how frustrating this might make you. Brewer still refuses to sit still for more then 1 minute when I take him duck hunting. This has led me to the practice of jump shooting. While we havent stumbled onto any ducks just yet, we are getting pretty good at the tactic. The main place I go is a piece of game lands surrounded on three sides by water. There are several coves and main lake channels accessible from there. There are 2 fire roads that start at the parking area and dead end into the lake. Along the way there are several coves. Me and the Brew just work in a zig zag pattern off of the fire roads hitting each little cove as we go. It is tons of fun, and good exercise. We have seen a bunch of geese, thousands of sea gulls, and several blue herons. It is just a matter of time(time is not on my side, season ends soon) until we bump into some ducks. I will stop a few times during each hunt and sit down, I make Brewer sit for about as long as he can, and then we resume jump shooting. This may be a bad way to go about this, but my plan is to gradually increase the time we sit, in hopes he gets the idea. When we are sitting and he catches a glimpse of birds in flight, he freezes and points until I distract him. This is encouraging to me. As I said before, if I could just get one duck to fly by within shooting range while he is sitting still and manage to make a good shot, he would understand the game.
Well, I fell asleep last night before I got a chance to finish this, Steffi came home and we ate dinner and watched TV. It is almost 6 am now and I will be late for work if I continue to type, more to come here.

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment