Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dixie Deer Classic

I finally made it over to the Dixie Deer Classic on Sunday about lunch time.(had to work in the morning) I did not get to spend nearly as much time there as I wanted. I was however very impressed with what I saw. I am sure by the time I got there some vendors had closed up shop and the merchandise was picked through, but it was still impressive. I planned on attending a few seminars, that didnt happen either, and I am kicking my self for that now. There were thousands of people that represented many different walks of life.It was great to see a variety of people interested in hunting. As many people have reported after viewing this years trophy wall, what we thought would happen with the quality of deer in our state seems to be happening. It appears that the best bucks are becoming better each year and that there are greater numbers of shooter bucks as well.Obviously this is very encouraging for us hunters.I think this will be a continuing trend. The number of people involved with deer management and conservation movements in our state and around the country is growing. One other thing I noticed about this event was the amount of information available there. Just about anything you wanted to know related to hunting was there. It was funny to walk around inside the buildings and hear all of the turkey calls simultaneously being used. It sound like a turkeys where takin over.
Quick funny side story. I told my self I wasnt going to spend more then 20 or 30 dollars at the show and only if it was on something I had to have. So I went to the ATM after work and entered $40 into the computer(costs $10 to get in). When I reach over to get my cash I realize it is a thicker stack then I expected. The ATM had given me $200. Not only did this nearly put us in the red, but it was already burning a hole in my pocket. Remember, my wife says I am really impulsive, and I dont deny it anymore. I thought to my self, I smell T-R-O-U-B-L-E (sing it like Travis Tritt).Luckily I controlled the urge on more then one occasion and left having only spent 20 dollars on a new lead for Brewer of all things. But it wasnt easy!
There were vendors from all over the country including outfitters, hunting gear manufacturers and lots of other related stuff. All I can say for next year is, clear the calendar and save some cash. I cant wait to go back. The lines for Lee and Tiffany and Michael Waddell were really long, but I would have waited if I had the time. Just the chance to small talk it up with those folks would have been awesome. If you really want to get a better look at what went on this weekend, slide on over to Moose Droppings and check it out, he spent a lot more time there, talked with more folks and took lots of pictures. His link is to your right under MY LINKS. Thanks for stopping by.

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment