Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Brew boy is sidelined for a few days




Yesterday I had Brewer out running around on the game lands. We were shed hunting and had worked our way down to the lake shore in a bedding area. Just as I began to notice all of the trash that had washed up on the shore, here comes Brewer limping up to me with blood everywhere. I was really worried at first because of the artery that runs just underneath a dogs foot pads. Luckily I noticed a chunk of skin hanging off of his pad. It was bleeding pretty bad, but it seemed to resemble a skinned knee or elbow on a person. He must have cut or scraped it on a piece of trash. He was still running around chasing things, but I figured we needed to go because he was leaving a trail of blood with every step. By the time we got home the seats in my truck and my clothes were covered in blood. We tried for a while to get the bleeding stopped, but everytime he walked around it would continue. We found the only vet open in the area on Saturday afternoon which happened to be the vet at Pet Smart. Normally I shy away from stores like this when shopping for Brewer, but I must say I was impressed with the Dr and her staff. I will not hesitate to take him there again if needed. After a long wait he was finally fixed up. I have to take him back to the vet this afternoon to change his bandage. The wound bled a little more last night but I think it has pretty much stopped now.Banfield Veterinary office(the one in Pet Smart) was much cheaper then the emergency vet we called. It was going to cost us $100 just to show up there. Yesterday it was $98 for everything and it will cost $40 more today. I know it would have been double that at the emergency vet.
Any who, I think he will be fine. As you can see in the pictures his paw is rapped in a bandage and then covered with a plastic bag. He hasnt really messed with it at all in 24 hours, I think he knows it is helping him. Hopefully in a week or so his foot will heal and he can return to playing outside, until then, it might get a little crazy around here because he will have loads of energy. Dr's orders for him to take it easy. They couldnt stitch or glue anything because of the location of the wound, it moves and bends with every step he takes. I will keep you posted on his progress. So far he is being a real trooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment