Thursday, April 1, 2010

Lets talk a little football


I know I know, it is so early for college football talk. I just have not gotten into the March Madness this year. It has nothing to do with who is playing, I just haven't been into basketball this year. In any case, I always have college football on the brain, more specifically, Appalachian State Football. With season ticket sales opening up today for the Black & Gold Nation, it feels like a great opportunity to talk a little football. I am excited about the upcoming season for several reasons.
1. Some new faces on the coaching staff. I loved all of our old coaches, but I am really excited to see what these new guys can bring to the program. Bob McClain from Tulsa will take over Offensive Line duties, he replaces Shawn Elliot who left for South Carolina. I think Coach Elliot did a great job with our O-line guys, look for no drop off with Coach McClain.
Coach Scot Sloan comes to us from Riverside Military Academy. He replaces Defensive Coordinator John Wiley, who left for East Carolina. Coach Sloan will be Defensive Backs coach, Coach Dale Jones will move up to DC from Linebackers Coach. I really look forward to seeing what Coach Sloan has to offer. He brings years of coaching experience on the college level. I am also really excited to see Coach Jones at the DC position, he has already eliminated the Bandit Linebacker position and put a strong side linebacker in its place. Coach Wiley did a great job over the years but I really feel a fresh look to the ASU defense will do good things.
I am perhaps most excited about our new Strength and Conditioning Coach, Mike Kent. When Coach Dillman left earlier this fall, I found my self worried he would be very hard to replace. The intensity, motivation and work ethic he brought to our program was unbelievable. Enter Mike Kent, Coach Kent may actually be over qualified for this job. I think the only reason he took it is because he loves ASU and wanted to be back in Boone. Coach Kent has spent many years moving up in the world of college athletics at some really BIG TIME schools including Kansas State, Pittsburgh and Louisville. Before all that he spent 9 years at ASU as Strength Coach. I am thrilled to have this guy back on our home turf. Coach Dillman did amazing things with our athletes, but if there is a person that can take our guys to the next level, it is Coach Kent.

2. Though we lost the Greatest APP of all time #14, we have 2 really solid options to take over the offensive reigns in Jamal Jackson and DeAndre Presley. Both I feel have similar abilities. Jackson may be a bit more durable at 6-3 190. But Presley 5-11 170 has the game experience. It should be a battle to the finish to see who gets the job this fall. I will spend time on our offense more later. Some expect to see a dropoff in offensive performance next year. I havent convinced my self of that just yet with the guys we have returning(we will be just fine) but in any case, this leads me to #3.

3. Defense, in 2005 and 2006 our defense was ridiculously rock solid. Remember the days of #44 & #97 wreaking havoc in the back field, and #47 ball hawkin all day long. Bobby Lamb and UNI remember Hunter and Murrell for sure. Will we ever have another Corey Lynch, tough to say. Looking at this coming year on the defensive side of the ball, we have some great talent returning and some new comers who are sure to WOW you. Guys Like Mark Legree, DJ Smith, Dominique McDuffie, Troy Sanders, Michael Frazier, Justin Wray, Ed Gainey and Jeremy Kimbrough will be our resident Head Hunters. Others like Bobby Bozzo, Demery Brewer, Jabari Fletcher, Lanston Tanyi, Tony Robertson and Gordy Witte along with new JUCO transfer Chris Aiken will power the front line. I know I have left some guys out, but the point is, this could be a phenomenal season defensively for the Black & Gold. The guys listed in the first group are all very fast, physical players who will be aggressive and opportunistic. The guys in the second group have another year under their belt and all signs indicate great expectations for this group as well. Look for the Veterans like Fletcher, Robertson and Bozzo to play with a chip on their shoulder, and look out for Chris Aiken. Weighing in at 6-1 310 he just might be the real deal. Aiken spent 5 years in the army and served 2 tours in Iraq before going to Blinn College in Texas for 2 years and transferring to ASU. He is a man.

All in all, we have a lot to look forward to next year. I think we will see a fresh new face to the APP's Defense that will be really exciting to watch. Lots of hard hits and turnovers coming your way soon. Offensively one really cant worry too much with guys like Devon Moore, Cedric Baker, Devin Radford, Brian Quick, Travaris Cadet, Matt Cline, Ben Jorden and hopefully Coco Hillary returning, along with the much anticipated entrance of guys like Rod Chisholm, Andrew Peacock and Tony Washington. Besides, who doesn't get excited about a team coached by Jerry Moore, in my opinion there isnt a finer coach in the country. I just couldn't resist talking a little APP Football. Since no one is here to talk with me, I wrote it out. I am sure there will be plenty more to come. Check out the splash page at GOASU.COM. See you at the ROCK.

GO APPS

No comments:

Post a Comment