Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Think it through, dont over think it


Random but funny


Recently on my quest to find the perfect marinade/recipe for steaks, ribs and such, I made a great discovery. The less I do the better things turn out.Just the other day I just had to finish cooking the bacon for our bacon swiss burgers on the grill. Lets just say we had swiss burgers, there was no bacon left within 20 seconds of putting it on the grill. I can laugh about it now I suppose. One of my friends at work just uses salt & pepper on his steaks, so I tried it a few weeks ago and I will never do anything different. I have nearly perfected my rib recipe, at least according to me, by not using so much stuff. My point being, often times with all of the information available to us these days we tend to over think things. I believe this holds true for hunting also. With all of the new products, TV shows and crazy fast bullets and bows on the market today, I find my self making things harder then they need to be. As you know I have a list a mile long of hunting stuff I need. I have to remind my self that I really have what I need. Scent Lok, scent free technology wasn't around 50 or even 25 years ago, but somehow people managed to kill deer. All of the great camo patterns we have today haven't been around that long, hunters killed great bucks without wearing it. These really light weight aluminum climbers haven't been around that long either. I recently watched an educational hunting video from 20 years ago that referred to a "hang on" stand with ratchet straps as a "portable" stand. Today's compound bows are approaching speeds of 350 fps and some of the new rifle calibers shoot well in excess of 3000 fps. This is all fine and good. I have absolutely no problem with any of it. I use scent lok, and take every precaution with my scent before entering the woods.I cannot own enough new camo and my favorite rifle caliber is the fairly new 270 WSM. My bow is fairly old, but I would love a newer faster one. I watch just about every hunting show I have time for, and I subscribe to a few different hunting magazines. With all of this information being thrown at me I find my self really thinking hard and analyzing every step of my next hunt. On many occasions I find my self really torn on wear to sit, or what tree to pick, and taking valuable time to make a decision. I find my self failing to commit to a well thought out plan at the first sign things aren't going right. Usually I have the latest greatest tips and tricks floating around in my head making me doubt what I know to be true from experience. Many times I have abandoned my original plan 30 minutes into the hunt only to regret it later. Hunters were successful way before present technology existed by using much simpler methods. Next time you find your self in an outdoor dilemma, tred through all the TV shows, magazine articles and latest greatest equipment floating around your head, focus and rely on your instinct, draw on your experiences to make your decision. Here are some time tested salt & pepper principals for hunting that won't do you wrong.

-Know the area your hunting
-Master your weapon
-Pay attention to the wind and weather
-Stay focused, be patient and stick to the plan

Thanks for stopping by,

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment