Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spring Turkey Tactics



A picture I took from a few years back. This is Frank Askew before the Up-close Outfitter days. This hunt took place in Boone,NC on private land. I remember this hunt very well because it was my turn to shoot and I never got the chance. When Frank saw the length of the beard on this guy I guess he couldnt resist. It was almost 12 inches long.

Its approaching that time of year again. For most big game hunters spring turkey season provides the perfectly timed reason to get back into the woods. Winter has passed, thoughts of beaches and cookouts loom in our heads and that warm sunny afternoon with the window down and radio playing is almost here. I am always looking for any excuse to get out into the woods when the weather turns nice,and there really is no greater spring time sound then that of a gobbling tom.
These days turkeys seem to be gaining more popularity with hunters. This is a double edged sword since they arent making land anymore. Especially around the triangle area where I live, with it being one of the fastest growing places in the country. While I dont know the numbers for turkeys in our area, I believe there is a healthy population. With the upcoming season a few weeks away, here are a few tips to keep in mind if you plan on joining the masses in pursuit of our feathered friend Tom. Dont get me wrong, more hunters is what we are after. However some of the ones I have run into in the field lack any common courtesy or sportsmans etiquette.


-Scout Scout and Scout-
Dont just show up on opening morning and expect a turkey to be roosted 100 yards from the parking lot. Even during deer season I take note of any turkey sign I run across. Get into the woods and go for a hike, whether it be public or private land, begin to develop a game plan. Many people locate the birds on the roost the evening before the hunt. This is a great way to help you develop a game plan, but dont rely on it. Try to locate turkeys on the land you have access to a couple of times before the season. Maybe once on a rainy day and once on a sunny day. Turkeys tend to behave a little differently when it rains. Do not under any circumstances use calls to locate birds before the season starts. Your gig will be up. Just sit and glass if no sign is found.

-Calling- There are a great variety of calls on the market now from $5 to much much more. The majority of hunters tend to use the same calls. Be aware that most of the guys you will be sharing land and birds with will be using whatever calls happen to be on sale when they go into the local sporting goods store. Turkeys become pressured and call shy very quickly. Trust me when I tell you I know how tight things can be, especially for us married guys who have to get approval for new hunting toys. Spend a few more $$ and get a better call. You want to sound unique. Ok even if you cant afford a new call, at least master the one you have, dont wait until the night before or even the week before to start cuttin and cluckin. Being a good caller means being proficient with whatever you have.
There are two different schools of thought when it comes to calling. One being call often and aggressively, the other being a much more conservative method of calling softly and less often. Both have produced for me in the proper context, use your judgement. Take into consideration the weather, hunting pressure and what point of the season it is. Turkeys are less chatty in the rain and later in the season.(There are always exceptions use your thinker)

-Stay Focused- Do not stop hunting until you get all of the way back to your vehicle. Even when you are covering ground you have already covered, stay focused and remain in hunt mode. Several times I have missed out on a bird because I was walking back to the truck and thinking of other things. One time, a gobbler was literally beside my truck, I never saw him until he saw me, that bird hasnt stopped running yet. Remind your self what you are doing, stay sharp, stay aware. This alone will go a long way to helping you bag that bird. You would be surprised at the number of missed opportunities because you were not paying attention to your surroundings.

-Cover up in Camo- While you might think this is a given, I have seen some guys who do not take this seriously. Turkeys have ridiculously good vision, camo from head to toe is a requirement in my book.

For more great TURKEY tips click on the link for Up-close Outfitters in MY LINKS.

Thanks for stopping by, go get em.

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment